Indian Head Massage is derived from the ancient Ayurvedic Healing system, which teaches self-care and prevention of illness. In some parts of India, it is incorporated into people's daily routines, not only to help maintain hair in good condition, but also to stimulate the body's natural healing ability.
This therapy is sometimes referred to as "Champissage", a Hindi word meaning Head, from which the word "shampoo" comes from. Champi is the Indian tradition of head massage that might be more commonly found in the barbershops of India.
What can it do for you?
Physical benefits may include:
- Increases joint mobility and flexibility in shoulders, neck and arms
- May help with tension headaches, sinusitis, congestion, eye strain, as well as tinnitus and other ear problems
- Can stimulate and relax the nervous system, depending on the goal of the treatment and techniques used
- Promotes hair growth
Other benefits may include:
- Helps to clear the mind and revitalises mental capacity
- Can improve sleep quality
- With this massage you can experience a relaxing and calming effect. May soothe, comfort and rebalance your energy flow which gives you a deep sense of peace, calm and tranquillity.
What a typical session entails
It includes massage to the upper back, neck, shoulders, arms, hands, scalp and face. This massage usually includes the use of oil and ladies will be asked to wear a sarong. The treatment can also be carried out with the client being fully clothed. This massage can be done anywhere - only requiring a chair, which makes it an ideal treatment for the corporate environment.
Arranging a session
The treatment lasts for approximately 45 minutes, your first appointment for this treatment includes a free 15 minute consultation, where you will be asked questions about your health and lifestyle. This is an important aspect of the treatment as it is beneficial for the therapist to have an understanding of all the factors that may be affecting your health and work out the treatment objectives. All information is held in strictest confidence.